For us First Timers...

Official forum for the World of Commodore expo
Next expo: December 1-2, 2018
jayk2k

For us First Timers...

Post by jayk2k » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:51 pm

Can someone that's been to these WOC's hosted by TPUG give us first timers a run down? Should we just come as we are, or should we be packing up some kit to use for the day while we're there? Is there room and hydro to run machines, or do we need to purchase one of the vendor tables if we want to mess around on our computers throughout the day? If we do set up a table, do we have easy access to drop in/out for lunch/dinner/seminars? (IE is someone going to walk off with it if we leave it unattended?) I see that there will be some "free time" after the show hours around 6:30 or so, and would like to make the most of my day. Unfortunately I won't be able to be there all day so I want to plan accordingly.
Originally owned a A500 with PPS '040 and 8 meg ram, KS 2.04 & 1.3, Supra drive w/500 meg HD, Bigfoot PS, and StarNX1000 Rainbow Printer. Currently own an A500 1.3 OCS and 1084s.

Golan Klinger

Re: For us First Timers...

Post by Golan Klinger » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:32 am

jayk2k wrote:Should we just come as we are, or should we be packing up some kit to use for the day while we're there?
That depends on the kind of experience you're looking for. Some folks show up, do a little shopping, take in a few demos and call it a day whereas others are looking for a more social experience (I'm one of those). I like to chat with old friends and make some new ones, do some programming and play some games and generally relive the good old days. If you fall into that latter category, it's a good idea to bring some hardware with you. Worth noting is that a group of us tend to hang out until the wee hours hacking, shooting the breeze, reminiscing and enjoying a few cold ones. That part of the World of Commodore is an awful lot of (silly) fun.
Is there room and hydro to run machines, or do we need to purchase one of the vendor tables if we want to mess around on our computers throughout the day?
No need to pay for a vendor table for that. When you show up, let us know what you need and we'll fit you in somewhere. Electricity, as well as wired and wireless Internet access, is provided without charge.
If we do set up a table, do we have easy access to drop in/out for lunch/dinner/seminars? (IE is someone going to walk off with it if we leave it unattended?)
There's always someone around and I've never had any problems leaving stacks of goodies unattended but be aware that you are responsible for anything you bring. If you're going to leave for an extended period you should probably ask someone to keep an eye out for you.
Are you keeping up with Commodore?

jayk2k

Re: For us First Timers...

Post by jayk2k » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:37 am

Awesome, sounds like exactly what I was looking for. I'll definitely be packing the hardware up for the afternoon. I won't be able to stay to the wee hours this year, but look forward to it next.
Originally owned a A500 with PPS '040 and 8 meg ram, KS 2.04 & 1.3, Supra drive w/500 meg HD, Bigfoot PS, and StarNX1000 Rainbow Printer. Currently own an A500 1.3 OCS and 1084s.