Border Crossing Information

Official forum for the World of Commodore expo
Next expo: December 1-2, 2018
Leif Bloomquist

Border Crossing Information

Post by Leif Bloomquist » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:35 am

For those in the USA and abroad (I hope!) coming to World of Commodore, here is a link to the Canadian Border Services' starter page for visitors.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/noncan-eng.html

This page has specific details for ID, limits and restrictions and other useful information.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... 2-eng.html

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)" site outlines what documentation you will need to get back into the USA.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacat ... dy_set_go/

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection "Know Before You Go" online brochure describes the rules for bringing items back from your trip.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/

Please post other relevant links and tips in this thread.

eightbits

Re: Border Crossing Information

Post by eightbits » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:19 pm

Excellent, information! Thanks for posting that!

I do have one question that I couldn't see posted there.

Do I have to convert US currency if I intend to use cash (for example, purchasing items at the show?) If so, where is the best place to do this?

Golan Klinger

Post by Golan Klinger » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Most businesses and individuals accept U.S. currency buy should you wish to avoid any possible complications by converting some yourself, look for money exchange places in the border cities (Detroit/Windsor, Buffalo/Fort Erie, Niagara Falls etc.) Currency can also be exchanged at banks but they tend to be less welcoming to walk-in traffic.
Are you keeping up with Commodore?

jcompton

Post by jcompton » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:19 pm

eightbits wrote:Excellent, information! Thanks for posting that!

I do have one question that I couldn't see posted there.

Do I have to convert US currency if I intend to use cash (for example, purchasing items at the show?) If so, where is the best place to do this?
Plastic is your best bet for currency management.

ATMs make ideal currency "exchange" points: just make one sizable withdrawal as soon as you arrive. Even if your issuing bank and the bank whose ATM you use both charge a small fee, you tend to win out because the raw exchange rate is more favorable than the ones offered by in-person bureaus or bank teller counters, where significant margins are baked into the rate. Note that this is a losing strategy if you're going to continually be pulling out $20 at a time, so try to plan ahead for your needs, and make just one transaction.

While you're out in Toronto buying food and whatnot, you can just pay with Visa or Mastercard. If you have multiple credit cards, you may want to call around to find out which of them charges the smallest foreign currency fee (or none at all.) Hell, if you hustle and have decent credit, there's time to get a new card--Capital One, for instance, doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee, making it an ideal traveling companion. American Express, as a counter-example, charges 2.7%.

It also depends who you plan to buy from. Jim Brain, for example, will obviously be taking greenbacks.

brain

Post by brain » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:21 pm

jcompton wrote: It also depends who you plan to buy from. Jim Brain, for example, will obviously be taking greenbacks.
I'll be taking $55.00 US or CAD at the show, to make things easier (unless the exchange rate changes quite a bit before the show), but I am happy to handle Paypal at the show, and I think I can do Credit Cards through Paypal as well.

Sales favor the flexible seller.

Jim

JP PBM

Post by JP PBM » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:36 am

I too will be Accepting many forms of currency (US,CDN,PayPal,Platinum,Gold,Silver,Personal Checks,Left Arm,Right leg,First born, Etc...Even Canadian Tire Cash!)

I'll even give you a receipt you can use to claim back some of the taxes as you cross the boarder back to the US... (Or you can "Defect" and stay here ....!)

Cyberjank

Post by Cyberjank » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:17 pm

I'm just going to stay in Canada. It's too much of a pain to get back into the USA.

CJ
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call Mad World BBS
Keeping the Faith since 2004
madworld.bounceme.net