WoC...2018!

Official forum for the World of Commodore expo
Next expo: December 1-2, 2018
davidcalgary29

WoC...2018!

Post by davidcalgary29 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:59 pm

I'm going to miss WoC by about a week...most unfortunately, as I live in Alberta and planned my annual trip to Ontario well in advance of the announced date. Is WoC always held on the first full weekend in December? And is it exclusively for Commodore machines, or can owners of other vintage computers "crash" the party?

Pontiac76

Re: WoC...2018!

Post by Pontiac76 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:04 pm

I'm in no way directly affiliated with the TPUG group beyond being a member for about a week so far. I went last year, which was my very first exposure to the group. I wasn't aware of them until I started digging into getting myself a C64 again.

My understanding is that, yes, typically, its the first weekend of Dec that the group holds their get together. This year was due to a scheduling conflict that was announced back in the summer time IIRC. I blame the hotel. :]

I can't speak at all about bringing a different machine. When i went last year, i remember seeing a half-put together machine that didn't look like any Commodore I'm used to seeing.

davidcalgary29

Post by davidcalgary29 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:41 pm

What was the exhibition like last year? How many people attended?

I'm particularly sad that I'm going to miss the unaired episode of Bits & Bytes. I wonder if stars Billy Van and Luba Goy?

Pontiac76

Post by Pontiac76 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:58 pm

I got there Saturday at about 11:30 or so in the morning. I didn't attend the presentations as I had a bit of a time budget I had to keep on as I was hunting other materials, plus, I'm an hour and a half drive down the 401 so I wanted to get home before the stupids came out to play. This year, however, I might decide to stick around just for S'n'G and stay for the presentations.

There was a bunch of different types of vendors there, selling stuff for most brands of Commodore. There was a good 15 foot wall full of different Commodore equipment out for demonstration, like, custom case C64Cs, there were I think two Vic20s with different games playing along with something like the Ultimate2+, there was a transparent C64c case, I think a Plus/4 was there as well. All in all probably about 6 to 8 machines along one wall.

Another wall contained about 4 or 5 vendors selling different things. I had just picked up a C64 from Syd Bolton from the museum in Brantford, I found that I needed extra equipment to do disk copying from my PC to some diskettes I picked up for free at the meet up. I picked up the EasyFlash so I could run some ROM based games, and a ZoomFloppy to get games from PC to the 1541 to me going, but then my Ultimate2+ showed up a few months later.

The back wall was empty for the most part, but I remember there being a machine there that was partially assembled. I didn't recognize the machine, but was probably a business type of Commodore machine, but I don't know.

The fourth wall in this square room was where the public could put their stuff for sale, show off the raffle stuff, and a place where people could put stuff to give away.

In the center of the room, there were a few more vendors selling mostly materials on floppies, some CDs, and T-Shirts, and other things of the sort. I do remember there being one gent with an electric piano that was hooked into an Amiga I think (I didn't look at the machine long enough to have it baked in)

For my first experience, I loved it, and I've been absolutely clear with my wife that I'm going again. I had a hard time concentrating at work today because I've been looking forward to going again and getting more equipment for my C64, plus go to some of the presentations this time around. I have no schedule for the weekend other than this.

davidcalgary29

Post by davidcalgary29 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Great report! I hope that you had fun at WoC 2017 and can review it here for those of us who couldn't attend.

I definitely have to pin down the dates for next year. I hope it'll be December 8-9, but I suppose it could also be December 1-2...

Pontiac76

Post by Pontiac76 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:44 am

So, follow up report.

The room was the same, but, they took out the divider and the room was 50% larger in size.

Pretty much the same kind of deal was on with the vendors. A couple of vendors in the middle of the left side of the room (As you walk in the door) and along the immediate left and right in a U shape were demo machines and a couple of vendors. The center of the right side of the room was empty on Saturday. It may have been populated on Sunday.

The demonstration machine count doubled as well. I don't recall a Vic20 there, but there were lots of C64 and Amiga machines, a few PETs in various states (One with the lid open to show off some additional hardware), one vendor showing off a power protection circuit for the C64 that you need to solder in (I bought two) another was working diligently on his 128 to get something done. There was a new kind of floppy drive emulator that I hadn't seen before. It had a dial and OLED display. Apparently its a mod that is applied to this particular brand of reader? I didn't want to be a bother so I didn't hover over the gent as he was playing with it, so I don't know much about it.

The presentations that I attended (4 of them) were also really well done. Loved the BBS demo, which got my mind rattling a bit on how it all works at the software level. Then a demo on a RPG/RTS multiplayer client/server game on the C64 with a live demonstration (After the network bugs were worked out). Talks about the PLA and how it could have been a $1 fix but some loudmouth scared people off. There was one more I attended, but, I kinda forget. :/

I picked myself a C128 and a 1541-II drive, plus the two aforementioned power protection devices. I considered a WiFi wireless modem, but I'd much prefer a wired one

All in all, TPUG, 2018, I'll be there again. :]

EDIT: Syd Bolton – An UNAIRED Pilot for Bits & Bytes -- Thats the one I forgot. I remember a few of those shows.

davidcalgary29

Post by davidcalgary29 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:41 pm

Excellent. Thanks for the report! You should submit it to the newsletter so that this makes it into the year-end review.

I'm seriously thinking about moving my vacation forward this year to make the show. Did the vendors have anything for any other platform? I primarily use Atari's 8-bit machines, though I obviously do have a few C64 systems.

Also: what DID the unaired episode of "Bits & Bytes" feature? I watched every episode on TVO in the '80s!.

80sFreak

Post by 80sFreak » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:37 pm

I was the one who presented the unaired episode of Bits & Bytes for Syd Bolton at WoC 2017.

The pilot was very similar to (I believe the first episode) but Luba Goy was in a very sci-fi like set.

If there is enough interest and Ian is okay with it I could do another showing this year. I plan on being at the show both days.

Cheers,

Bryan

davidcalgary29

Post by davidcalgary29 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Yes, please! I'll be traveling on Saturday, but will be at the show on Sunday.